Before she was crowned Queen of the Jungle, Casey Donovan was in Brisbane playing the role of Killer Queen. I was lucky enough to interview Casey and here are five things I know.
1. Casey has one of the most melodic and beautiful voices I’ve ever had the pleasure of hearing. Her speaking voice and the kindness you can hear are genuine and I’m so glad that the rest of Australia now knows that. In ‘ We Will Rock You’ Casey had some of the most difficult Queen songs to sing but when she hit those high notes you thought she was going to blow the QPAC roof off. Her impromptu singing performances on ‘I’m A Celebrity….. Get Me Out of Here!’ have been one of the highlights of the season.
2. She wears her heart on her sleeve. No subject is off limits for Casey. She has talked about the trials of being thrust into the limelight at the tender age of 16 and her battles with anxiety and low self esteem. She has spoken openly about being catfished by a woman for years. She spoke of her broken home during the series. She is honest about her life and that’s one of the reasons she was such a popular contestant.
3. She’s a good driver. Before entering the jungle Casey could be found driving an Uber. Can you imagine people getting into a car and being driven home by Casey Donovan? At the time I interviewed her last year she’d also been working for the ‘Liverpool Indigenous Land Council’ as a bus driver.
4. She knows how to conquer her fears and never give up. Casey was terrified when asked to jump out of a helicopter right at the beginning of the show. As someone who doesn’t like heights I was in awe of her actually doing it, when you could see how panicked she was. It would have been easy for her to refuse and just head home again. She has completed tucker trials and challenges and met them head on with her awesome sense of humour and resilience.
5. She works hard for her chosen charities. Casey has used her public profile to further many causes –Indigenous charities, Do Something Day where she was an ambassador promoting random acts of kindness and now by winning ‘I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here!’ she has won the biggest prize of all $100 000 for the Starlight Foundation.
I told my family at the beginning of the series that Casey would win over the hearts of Australia once again. Casey, you are the very first woman to win ‘I’m a Celebrity….. Get Me Out of Here’ and that is something no-one can ever take away from you. I hope we hear more of your own music, that you keep being real and continue to further champion the causes close to your heart. #SheInspires
Freelance writer, wife and mother of three sons, occasional supply teacher and aspiring romance author, Michelle Beesley can be most often found in a coffee shop chatting with friends or beside a rugby field cheering on her favourite teams.
Michelle is a prolific—albeit reluctant—traveller, keen walker, bookworm and yoga enthusiast who loves anything pink or sparkly (including champagne!).