Cooking is best when shared amongst friends. One can slice the tomatoes,
while one fries the halloumi and another makes the lamb. These pita
pockets are the perfect crowd pleaser any night of the week and will make
sure to get everyone involved.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
Serves: 6 (1 pita per person)
- 500g lamb mince (makes 6
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp. ground cumin
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup raisins, soaked and
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup panko crumbs or bread
- 2 large eggplants
- 6 tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers, ribboned
- 1/2 red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup tzatziki
- 225g haloumi, fried
- 1/4 cup honey
- Bunch of dill
- Bunch of mint
- Lemon cheeks to dress (optional)
- 6 pack pita bread
1. Combine the mince with garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, cumin, and
raisins. Once well combined, add egg and incorporate well before
adding the panko crumbs until well combined. Split the mix into 6
even portions and roll into 2cm thick patties.
2. Slice the eggplants into 2cm rounds and fry on a griddle pan to
colour and cook through. Set aside.
3. Fry the patties in a non-stick pan on medium heat until golden and
cooked through. Allow to rest for 3 minutes.
4. To serve, fill your pita with lamb, eggplant and as many of the
accompaniments as you feel like.
• Mince patties need time to rest after cooking to make sure you set
aside for at least 3 minutes.
• Patties tend to shrink when cooked, which can make them thicker in
the middle. If you feel the meat is still undercooked in the centre,
finish it in the oven, not the pan. This will stop the outside from
burning while you cook it.
• The recipe lends itself to getting creative in the kitchen! The
accompaniments are suggestions only, so feel free to mix it up and
choose your favourite mix and match ingredients!
Check out We Love Our Lamb for more delicious lamb recipes!
She Society is a site for the women of Australia to share our stories, our experiences, shared learnings and opportunities to connect.