In our family we all loved our mother’s cooking, especially at Christmas time. We couldn’t wait for mum to fill the biscuit jars full to the brim with her homemade treats.
Stored in tall rectangular shaped glass jars were ANZAC biscuits, White Chocolate Macadamia biscuits and other scrumptious creations. The round metal lids were firmly screwed on, not only to keep the air out, but to impede eager hands from emptying the jars before visitors arrived.
Our mum (Marie), died fifteen years ago, and it seems like yesterday. However, her legacy carries on particularly through the love of her many recipes that we family members continue to indulge in, and not only during festive seasons.
Given Christmas is just around the corner and to keep up the spirit I thought it prudent to share one of mum’s old time favourites, White Christmas slice.
Even in 2018, speak to any cook and they all have their own special White Christmas treat. However, sometimes you just want it the old fashioned way and here it is:
Marie’s White Christmas slice:
- 100g packet glazed cherries
- 100g packet glazed pineapple
- ½ cup mixed dried fruit
- 3 cups rice bubbles
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup full-cream milk powder
- 2/3 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 250g white vegetable shortening
- Line 30cm x 20cm shallow baking tray with foil or baking paper
- Cut cherries in half and chop pineapple coarsely
- Put fruit, rice bubbles, coconut, milk powder and icing sugar in a bowl
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients
- Melt shortening in a small pot then pour into the well
- Mix thoroughly
- Press mixture into tray and flatten with a spoon
- Place in refrigerator 1 hour
- When firm cut into fingers
Happy Christmas everyone!!