Daily News Roundup

July 29, 2019

Shayna Jack reveals banned substance Ligandrol was behind her doping suspension from swimming
Image: MSN.com

MONDAY 29 JULY

Shayna Jack has revealed how she came into contact with the banned substance found in her system, and has vowed to clear her name.

The 20-year-old shocked the Australian swimming fraternity with news that she had tested positive for a banned substance that has now been revealed as Ligandrol. She had to withdraw from the national squad prior to the world championships in Gwangju, South Korea.

Ligandrol is a selective androgen receptor modulator (SARM), which is used for treatment of conditions like osteoporosis. It aids the growth of muscle mass and has been detected in drug tests used in sport.

In a statement from her Instagram account, Jack relayed the shock and confusion she experienced when called in by ASADA and was told she had tested positive.

Jack intimated that Ligandrol can be found in contaminated supplements.

“I was in complete shock, asking myself how and why is this happening to me. My brand repeated over and over: ‘I have always checked my substances’, ‘I didn’t do this’, ‘why is this happening to me?’ I’ve done nothing wrong,’ she said.

“I had never heard of it before, let alone know how to pronounce it: she said it was ‘Ligandrol’. I now know that this can be found in contaminated supplements.”

ASADA warned athletes that not only was LGD-4033 (Ligandrol) prohibited in sport, but it was not yet cleared through clinical trials.

Shayna’s coach said he believes her claims that she doesn’t know how the banned substance entered her body.

“I believe she’s going through a hard time and I fully support Shayna but I do fully support the process,” Dean Boxall told the ABC on Sunday night.

“It’s in the lawyers hands but she’s being taken care of.”

He was asked if he was confident she would be cleared by ASADA, he replied “Ah you can’t be fully confident, can you. I mean it’s in front of the lawyers and I fully trust and believe in Shayna.”

####

Canadian police are urging the public to stop posting tips on the whereabouts of the two murder suspects on social media, and instead call authorities directly to prevent delays in the investigation.

It has been more than two weeks since Sydney tourist Luca Fowler, 23, and his American girlfriend Chynna Deese, 24, were shot dead on a highway in British Colombia.

Suspects Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, and Kam McLeod, 19, have still not been found despite extensive searching from 1000 officers, helicopters and tracker dogs as well as assistance from the Canadian Air Force.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) said they believed the pair were still near the rural town of Gillam in the province of Manitobam with no new information indicating they have fled the area.

Investigators have received more than 200 tips in the past five days but RCMP warned that the investigation could be hindered if tips were not reported straight to police.

“Multiple tips of sightings have been posted to social media & NOT directly reported to police. If the tips are valid, it could create a substantial delay in the response by police,” the RCMP tweeted.

Officers have completed a canvass of Fox Lake Cree Nation and will now focus on completing a canvass of properties in Gillam where so far 250 homes have been visited.

Police have warned the public that Mr McLeod and Mr Schmegelsky may have changed their appearance and said there was a chance that the pair may have received assistance to leave the area.

They have already been charged with the murder of 64-year-old Leonard Dyck who was found shot dead in British Colombia on July 19.

####
A 49-year-old Gordonvale man has died and two men are in hospital after a crane came into contact with powerlines at a workplace in Far North Queensland.

Paramedics responded to the incident on a narrow road surrounded by sugarcane at Little Mulgrave at 9:00am on Sunday.

Paramedics said one man suffered fatal burns and a second man with critical burns was transported by ambulance to Cairns Hospital a short time later.

A Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman said a third man was taken to hospital for emotional distress.

A spokeswoman from Cairns Hospital said the two men in hospital were aged 63 and 54 and were in a stable condition.

The 63-year-old man was expected to be transferred to Brisbane.

Nearby, a resident, who responded in the moments after the accident, said she heard screams before rushing to the site to try to administer CPR.

“We came home and I saw the crane there and our power cut out when I was cooking breakfast and my son had yelled out that they’re hurt,” the woman said.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.




google.com, pub-4123593345523680, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0