Thanks to Christmas and New Year’s, some of us might be feeling the impact of back-to-back celebrations with our livers likely taking the brunt of it.
Because the liver is an essential organ for breaking down toxins, Jeff Butterworth, author and naturopathic physician and co-owner of Happy Healthy You, is encouraging Aussies to consider a cleanse post-festive season.
“It’s all too easy to overindulge during the holiday period and after one too many toasts and another plate of leftovers, our bodies start to wear the consequences,” said Jeff.
“Once toxins enter our systems, they need to be broken down and safely excreted otherwise they can have negative impacts on our health.”
Jeff says a well-constructed, safe cleansing program is beneficial and shares his steps to safely detoxify your system:
- Evaluation: If you are concerned you may have been exposed to some dangerous toxins, it’s important to undertake tests. A functional liver test will determine your liver’s ability to metabolise toxins.
- Preparation: Going cold turkey can shock your system. Start by reducing any current additives in your diet followed by heavy proteins and fatty foods, and supplement with plant-based foods. This will help build your antioxidant reserves and enzyme levels.
- Digestion: You should be achieving ideally at least two bowel movements every day. If not, try stimulating your liver and kidneys with herbal teas or dandelion leaves prior to starting the detox.
- Incorporate alkaline and antioxidants: Up your intake of these minerals as they’re critical to your body’s decision to release toxins. Alkaline also minimises any detox reactions. Try green leafy vegetables or Happy Greens, turmeric, cauliflower, broccoli, citrus fruits and root vegetables.
- Reduce processed foods and animal products: These food groups are harder for you to digest so relieving this additional strain on your digestive tract will signal for your body to start cleansing.
- Introduce vegetable and fruit juice: Drink between a 500ml to a litre blend of fruit, greens and root vegetables. The live enzymes from fruits and vegetables will flood your system and start to release toxins into your blood supply.
The Happy Healthy You RESET program is the ideal guide for those wanting to attempt a gentle cleanse in the new year.
For those who are well-practised and have undertaken previous cleanses, Jeff recommends:
“Gradually reducing whole foods and moving to only raw vegetables and fruits after a week of a predominantly vegetarian diet,” he said.
“In the following week shift to having only juices for another week, and if you are going well, you can do a few days of water only. Gradually reintroduce cooked vegetarian foods over a week and finally move towards an unprocessed clean food diet.”
Liver health is key to thousands of metabolic functions every day. Happy Healthy You’s, Happy Liver is a combination of herbal medicines and nutrients designed to support healthy liver function.
It’s important to know that as toxins begin to come out of your system you may experience slight nausea, headaches, low energy levels and a range of emotions, however following through with a safe cleansing program twice a year can be extremely beneficial. Consult your Naturopath or GP before commencing.
Happy Healthy You supports women to achieve a healthier lifestyle, including via online consultations, and an online community that also offers free advice, support and encouragement via its private Facebook groups.
For more information about Happy Healthy You or to book a consultation to discuss any detox or liver concerns, visit: https://happyhealthyyou.com.au/
ABOUT HAPPY HEALTHY YOU
Happy Healthy You is an Australian-based health and lifestyle company, established by Olympian, Lisa Curry and Naturopath and Author, Jeff Butterworth, to provide Australian women with information and natural alternatives to hormonal imbalance.
SheSociety is a site for the women of Australia to share our stories, our experiences, shared learnings and opportunities to connect.