FRIDAY, MARCH 26
An urgent COVID alert has been put out for three Brisbane venues after a 26-year-old man tested positive to coronavirus.
The man has been infectious since Friday and had been quite active in the community until Thursday when he returned two positive tests.
Anyone who visited the following venues is urged to get tested immediately, whether or not you are experiencing symptoms.
Carindale Shopping Centre
Baskin Robbins, Everton Park – 8pm
Fresh food market, Gasworks at Newstead
Mama’s Italian waterfront at Redcliffe – 12.30pm.
Worked at Paddington, landscaping
Guzman and Gomez (drive-thru), Stafford – 12.30pm
Bunnings, Stafford – 1pm
Premier Anastacia Palaszczuk said it was crucial for anyone feeling unwell over the next few days to put themselves forward for testing.
“We absolutely want people, especially over the next two – three days, to come forward and get tested if you are feeling unwell and you have symptoms,” she said.
As authorities work to trace anyone considered a contact of the state’s new infectious case, Queenslanders are urged to wear masks in crowded places, especially on public transport.
“If you’re in those crowded areas, put your mask on and see how we go over the next two or three days,”Ms Palaszczuk said.
“As long as people go out and get tested, we will come out of this ok.”
The man has been admitted to Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital.
The news comes as nearly 100 suburbs are put on high alert following a positive wastewater detection.
The most recent local case in Queensland was a doctor at the Princess Alexandra Hospital who contracted COVID-19 on March 12, whose diagnosis saw the reinstatement of some strict lockdown measures.
The doctor had treated a patient at the PA Hospital, who was Covid-19 positive, on March 10.
Brisbane suburbs on COVID alert
- Bowen Hills
- Brisbane Airport
- Brisbane City
- Camp Hill
- Cannon Hill
- Chermside West
- Dutton Park
- Eagle Farm
- East Brisbane
- Enoggera Reservoir
- Everton Park
- Ferny Grove
- Fortitude Valley
- Gordon Park
- Highgate Hill
- Holland Park
- Holland Park West
- Kangaroo Point
- Kelvin Grove
- Mount Coot-tha
- Mount Gravatt
- Mount Gravatt East
- New Farm
- Norman Park
- Nudgee Beach
- Petrie Terrace
- Port Of Brisbane
- Red Hill
- Seven Hills
- South Brisbane
- Spring Hill
- St Lucia
- Stafford Heights
- Stones Corner
- The Gap
- Upper Kedron
- Wavell Heights
- West End
- Wynnum West
The costly global crisis unfolding in the Suez Canal could last for weeks as desperate efforts to free a stuck cargo ship ramp up. Reports news.com
The 400m long, 200,000-tonne Ever Given container ship is blocking transit in both directions like “a beached whale”, through the vital shipping route.
The narrow strait that connects the Mediterranean with the Red Sea serves as a vital gateway for the movement of goods between Europe and Asia.
Eight tugboats are currently working to move the vessel, the Suez Canal Authority (SCA) said, after it got stuck diagonally across the single-lane southern stretch of the canal on Tuesday morning (local time) amid high winds and a dust storm which hampered visibility.
The ship, which is operated by Taiwanese shipping company Evergreen, was bound for Rotterdam when it got stuck.
“We can’t exclude it might take weeks, depending on the situation,” CEO of Dutch company Boskalis, which is trying to free the ship, Peter Berdowski told Dutch TV show Nieuwsuur.
Tracking data revealed a total of 206 large container ships – including tankers carrying oil and gas and bulk vessels hauling grain – have backed up at either end of the canal, creating one of the worst shipping jams seen in years.
Every day the crisis continues makes it worse for shipping companies — who may be forced to send their ships on a long detour around Africa.
Expert Sal Mercogliano said the effect on world trade, including COVID-19 vaccine supply, could be “catastrophic”.
Tasmania’s Liberal Premier has called a state election for May 1, days after his government’s numbers plunged into a minority with the exit of outspoken Speaker Sue Hickey.
The election — which was due to be held by May next year — will be brought forward after the state government was plunged into minority when Ms Hickey was sacked from the Tasmanian Liberals on March 21.
The election will be the first time Mr Gutwein faces voters as premier.
Mr Gutwein said at the press conference that now more than ever Tasmania needed a “strong, stable, majority government”.
“This morning I called on the governor and requested that an election be held for the house of assembly on the first of May,” he said.
“I did this because Tasmania can’t afford the uncertainty of the minority government.”
Mr Gutwein said the Legislative Council — Upper House — elections will proceed on the same date.
He also said the Liberal Party would commit to voluntarily disclosing its donations within two days throughout the campaign because the promised electoral donations reforms are yet to be brought to parliament.
“The Liberal Party has agreed voluntarily to disclose within two business days all donations received for the state campaign exceeding $5,000.
“I would hope that other parties would likewise voluntarily disclose thresholds and amounts themselves,” he said.
SheSociety is a site for the women of Australia to share our stories, our experiences, shared learnings and opportunities to connect.