TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1
The Queensland Premier has announced the state’s Queensland’s southern border restrictions will remain in place until at least the end of September, says Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk.
“There will be no changes for the month of September,” she said this morning with the decision to be reviewed at the end of every month.
“Our Chief Health Officer Dr Young has made it very clear she doesn’t want to see community transmission, and there is community transmission at the moment in the southern states,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
The announcement comes as the state recorded two new cases of coronavirus overnight.
A 37-year-old male nurse at Ipswich Hospital and an 18-year-old student at Staines Memorial college, in Brisbane’s south, both tested positive overnight.
The school remains closed, after another student previously tested positive.
Health Minister Steven Miles confirmed the student was from Redbank Plains and had already been in quarantine.
Victoria has recorded 70 new coronavirus infections and five deaths overnight, the Department of Health and Human Services says.
The increase in deaths is the lowest single-day toll in just over two weeks, since four deaths were reported on August 15.
The single-day case increase is also the state’s lowest in more than eight weeks — the last time cases dropped below 70 was when 66 new cases were reported on July 3.
Seventy-three new cases were reported yesterday.
Health authorities in NSW have confirmed 13 new coronavirus infections, while restrictions for residents on the NSW-Victorian border have been eased.
Two of the today’s cases are returned travellers in hotel quarantine.
The other 11 cases are locally acquired and linked to known clusters, including seven which are connected to the CBD cluster.
There are now a total of 41 cases associated with the Sydney CBD cluster.
There were 14,815 tests completed during the reporting period and there are now 3,874 cases in NSW.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian today announced the easing of restrictions for residents and businesses on the NSW-Victorian border, which will come into force on Friday.
“Pleasingly, having obviously heard the sustained concerns of the community, and seeing the rates of infection in Victoria decline, from this Friday the border region, will be extended to that initial 50 kilometres on either side of the border,” she said.
At present, Victorian border residents with permits to enter NSW must stay within a 2.5km zone but that will now be extended back to the original 50km either side of the border introduced in July.
AFL great Danny Frawley, who had an illustrious career with St Kilda, playing 240 games, was suffering from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a neurological disorder, at the time of his sudden death.
Frawley’s wife Anita said an analysis of the former Richmond coach’s brain showed signs of Stage II CTE.
The former Saints captain died in a car crash in September last year, the day after his 56th birthday. He was alone in the car.
Anita said the Victorian coroner was yet to release the official report, but she wanted to speak out about it immediately to help others.
“This is an issue for the community, it is not about a particular sport or sports, we need more research to diagnose and assist people living with the disease,” she told the Herald Sun.
“As his wife for over 30 years, I strongly suspected there was more going on with Danny than straightforward depression.
“I am very grateful for the work of the Australian Sports Brain Bank in shining a light on this disease.”
Frawley is the second prominent Australian football figure to be diagnosed with CTE, a degenerative condition linked to concussions and brain trauma.
In February it was revealed legendary Geelong ruckman Graham “Polly” Farmer was suffering from Stage III CTE when he died last year following tests on tissue from his brain at Sydney’s Royal Prince Alfred Hospital.
CTE can only be diagnosed after a person’s death.
Frawley, also a leading media figure after his coaching career finished, spoke publicly about his mental health battles in the years leading up to his death.
- Lifeline on 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800
- MensLine Australia on 1300 789 978
- Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467
- Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636
- Headspace on 1800 650 890
- ReachOut at au.reachout.com
- Care Leavers Australasia Network (CLAN) on 1800 008 774
A planned visit by US President Donald Trump to the Wisconsin town where a black man was shot seven times in the back by a police officer could stir up more violence, residents have warned.
Kenosha has been the scene of protests since Jacob Blake was shot by police who were responding to a call about a domestic dispute on August 23.
The protests turned deadly when 17-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse allegedly opened fire during clashes between demonstrators and armed groups of self-styled militia members, an incident which saw two protesters shot dead.
Mr Trump is scheduled to visit the city on Tuesday, where he will inspect damage and meet with law enforcement.
SheSociety is a site for the women of Australia to share our stories, our experiences, shared learnings and opportunities to connect.