June 25, 2018
Hunt announces $160m for mental health
A national funding boost will help address service gaps for Australians with mental illness and psychosocial disability to who aren’t covered by the National Disability Insurance Scheme, according to a peak mental health body.
Health Minister Greg Hunt on Saturday announced $160 million for a new national psychosocial measure for people with severe mental illness following an agreement between the federal and state and territory governments.
The federal government will provide $80 million over four years, beginning in July, with state and territory governments matching the commitment.
“It will help people for whom the NDIS was not designed, but who will benefit from specialised but less intense psychosocial services, such as individual and group assistance and rehabilitation, ensuring these people don’t miss out on crucial support,” Mr Hunt said in a media release.
Mental Health Australia chief executive Frank Quinlan welcomed the announcement, saying there’d been concern for those ineligible for the NDIS who still needed support from community-based services.
“Because many of the programs that previously provided that support are being wound up in order to make way for the NDIS, there’s been a gap,” Mr Quinlan told AAP.
He said it was also important that the state and federal governments were working together.
“I don’t think this is going to be enough to close the gap but I do think this is going to give us some really good information about the sorts of programs that work and that are most effective, and I think it’s a really important first step in resolving these issues,” he said.
Shots fired into Hobart bar
A high-powered rifle was used to shoot at a Hobart bar in what police believe was a targeted attack.
The steel door at Pablo’s Bar and Dreams was closed just after midnight when two men discharged the rifle “multiple times” through the door.
None of the 20 patrons and staff inside the bar at the time were injured, police said on Sunday.
The two men ran off and remain at large.
“Investigations to date suggest the incident was not random and police are following a particular line of inquiry,” police said in a statement.
Tasmanian Police have appealed for any witnesses to come forward and any motorists with dashcam footage from the area in Harrington Street to contact them.
The gun was found nearby.
Pablos Cocktails and Dreams is a 1920s, “speakeasy” style bar that normally closes at midnight.
QUEENSLAND Origin legend Johnathan Thurston has lashed out at some of the decisions Maroons players made during their game two loss to the Blues.
Thurston, sitting out his first Origin series since representative retirement last year due to a shoulder injury, unloaded on Maroons players when questioned about their performance post-match.
“(I’m) dumbfounded how Queensland played for 10 minutes,” Thurston said.
“A centre (James Roberts) going off for 10 minutes, I don’t think they targeted that edge much.”
“The first set they had, Ben Hunt kicks it dead. 20m restart. That is a brain explosion.
“Then Will (Chambers) picks up James Maloney – and that was fourth tackle – and slams him into the ground.
“Only 12 men and they get the ball back and get another penalty.
“Like Joey (Andrew Johns) said, it was dumb footy.
“Thurston played 37 Origins for the Maroons and was an instrumental figure in their run that included 11 series wins in 12 years.
Maroons fullback Billy Slater echoed Thurston’s sentiments when talk in the sheds after the match, saying his side hadn’t played smart football after the Roberts sin bin.
This daily news roundup has been curated with stories from News.com.au
She Society is a site for the women of Australia to share our stories, our experiences, shared learnings and opportunities to connect.