MONDAY, AUGUST 30
NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro has revealed which freedoms will be restored for fully vaccinated residents once the state hits 70 per cent double-dose coverage.
Speaking to Sunrise this morning, Barilaro said the state government will ease “a series of low-risk restrictions” before even “greater freedom” is granted when the 80 per cent milestone is reached.
“In that low-risk area of 70 per cent, which we should hit at about the middle of October, we can go back to things like al fresco dining, you can maybe look at pubs, clubs, cafes and retail reopening,” he said.
He added that there would be “Covid measures” in place, such as the 4 square metre rule, social distancing and mask wearing.
The assessment came as NSW recorded 1,290 new locally acquired COVID-19 cases in the 24 hours to 8:00pm yesterday.
It’s a new daily record for the state, and the largest number ever recorded by an Australian jurisdiction in a 24-hour period.
Four COVID-19 patients died in the reporting period.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian again stressed that vaccination was vital.
“Vaccination is the key in terms of our freedom and reducing the spread of the virus.”
The Premier said it was an “outstanding result” that 6.8 million jabs had now been administered in NSW with nearly two thirds of the adult population having one dose and 36 per cent with two doses.
Ms Berejiklian said the state was doing well in terms of planning for a roadmap out of lockdown once 70 per cent of people were vaccinated sometime in October, with those freedoms extended to people who are fully vaccinated.
*A leading epidemiologist says Victoria faces a difficult choice between two possible responses to its outbreak, as the state records 73 new locally acquired COVID-19 cases, reports the ABC.
Contact tracers have so far linked 52 of the new cases to existing outbreaks.
Health authorities say they will provide details later about how many of the new cases were in the community while infectious.
The state processed 41,395 test results on Sunday and delivered 26,702 vaccine doses at its state-run sites.
He said his government was yet to receive advice from Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton on the next stage of restrictions.
I’m A Celebrity host Julia Morris has revealed her dramatic new look after undergoing plastic surgery, reports news.com.au.
The Channel 10 presenter, 53, took to Instagram on Sunday night to show off the “before and after” images of her “glow up” eye and brow lift.
In the post, Morris quipped that she’d had her “eye beef” removed by Melbourne surgeon Dr Andrew Greensmith.
“So who knew I had eyes?” the comedian wrote alongside the images.
“The magnificent @drandrewgreensmith did. What a glow up for this 53yr (sic) old. Not (sponsored) but deep admiration for a brilliantly gifted plastic surgeon and a helluva wonderful man.
“Eye beef removal/brow lift … With thanks and love.”
Morris’ post attracted plenty of attention, with hundreds of fans and fellow stars gushing over her new look and praising her honesty.
Former Ten stablemate Jessica Rowe wrote, “beautiful – inside and out”, while Rebecca Gibney joked: “Book me in ploise (sic)!”
A fan added: “So refreshing to see some honesty from our celebs. You look awesome Julia, before and after, and your attitude makes you more attractive.”
“Well done you and I admire you for posting this and not pretended it was from eating healthy and exercising!” wrote another fan.
“Looks great … thanks for being so honest,” said another.
It’s not the first time Morris has opened up about her love for cosmetic procedures.
In a 2016 interview with Kyle and Jackie O, the host spoke openly about getting Botox.
“I’ve had a lot of Botox – I’m hanging in there,” she joked.
Earlier that year, she also spoke about the wrinkle-smoothing treatment in a candid interview with Mamamia.
Morris joked that it had given her the appearance of calm and collected during the devastating moment her husband Dan was diagnosed with cancer.
After her husband praised her for being “amazing” and “incredible” in the doctor’s office, Morris told the publication she responded: “I can’t move my face!”
She added: “I thought, ‘He may be suffering with the cancer, but I look amazing.’”
Veteran actor Hollywood Ed Asner — who starred as the hard-driving but loveable TV newsman Lou Grant on TV’s classic sitcom The Mary Tyler Moore Show and then in his own more serious Lou Grant spin-off — has died, his family said. He was 91.
“We are sorry to say that our beloved patriarch passed away this morning peacefully,” Asner’s official account tweeted Sunday afternoon. “Words cannot express the sadness we feel. With a kiss on your head- Goodnight dad. We love you.”
The longtime actor died of natural causes at home in Tarzana, his publicist said, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Asner won five Emmy Awards for his role as Grant, along with two more for his work in Rich Man, Poor Man and Roots — more than any other male actor in history.
His orneriness as Mr. Grant while acting opposite Mary Tyler Moore’s namesake character on the hit 1970s sitcoms was legendary.
Hurricane Ida has blasted ashore as one of the most powerful storms ever to hit the US, rushing from the Louisiana coast towards New Orleans, reports the ABC and wire services.
The category four storm with winds of 230 kilometres per hour hit on the same date that, 16 years earlier, Hurricane Katrina ravaged Louisiana and Mississippi.
Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards said this was not the kind of storm they normally experienced.
“This is going to be much stronger than we usually see and, quite frankly, if you had to draw up the worst possible path for a hurricane in Louisiana, it would be something very, very close to what we’re seeing,” he said.
Residents in Louisiana woke up to a monster storm after Ida’s top recorded winds grew by 72kph in five hours, as the hurricane moved through some of the warmest ocean water in the world, in the northern Gulf of Mexico.
Officials said Ida’s swift intensification from a few thunderstorms to a massive hurricane in just three days left no time to organise a mandatory evacuation of the city’s 390,000 residents.
SheSociety is a site for the women of Australia to share our stories, our experiences, shared learnings and opportunities to connect.