THURSDAY, June 28
A man remains on the run after fleeing police before dumping a car that contained the body of a woman inside a barrel, the ABC reports.
The man drove off in a black ute when officers arrived at an address in Logan, south of Brisbane, on Wednesday wanting to question him over a missing person.
Police have warned members of the public not to approach the man, amid reports he is armed.
The ute was abandoned at a caravan park in Stapylton, 40 kilometres south of Brisbane, and when searched by officers, the woman’s body was discovered in the barrel hidden by a tarp in the tray.
The man is now believed to be driving a silver, late-model Holden Commodore.
The woman found in the ute has not been officially identified.
Detectives yesterday removed a missing persons post about 16-year-old Larissa Beilby, who disappeared from her home in Sandgate, Brisbane, on June 15.
The teenager was last seen at an address on Kempster Street and has not contacted her family since June 18.
Initial investigations indicated she was in the company of a man in his late teens.
A Stapylton resident — who only wanted to be known as Sharon — said neighbours told her they saw two people let the man into the gated community.
“They were grabbing stuff out of the ute then all of a sudden they jumped in the silver vehicle and took off,” she said.
One of our neighbours, he saw the car parked up there and he went to close the door because the door was left open,” she said.
“That is when he noticed there was gun shot shells and knuckle dusters inside the vehicle so he rang the cops straight away cause he had touched the vehicle and that is when they turned up.”
Neighbour Jacob Ridler said he saw police with dogs searching for someone in the area less than a month ago.
“Didn’t know what was going on, I’ve got two young kids here,” he said.
He said where police found the ute was just 30 metres from his home.
“I just seen the tarps over the back of the ute and they’ve got a truck pulled up to it there … they covered it all up so I couldn’t see to much,” he said.
“It’s quite odd for this area. It’s a gated community and got a lot of elderly people and it’s quite unusual to have something like this happen here.”
Detective Superintendent Mark White said an investigation centre had been set up at Logan and a number of detectives from Logan, the Gold Coast and the Homicide Investigation Unit were conducting enquiries.
“As you can appreciate, there’s a fairly intensive forensic examination that is occurring as we speak and will continue to occur possibly for the next 24-48 hours, depending on how things go,” he said.
“We are conducting some very extensive inquiries in relation to any person associated with that car and also the address at Buccan.
ONE of the world’s largest ticketing groups began contacting Australians today after a widespread hack compromised the payment and personal details of thousands of users worldwide, news.com reports.
Ticketmaster, which is the official way to get AFL and NRL tickets, revealed more than 40,000 of its British customers had their information compromised in the attack, which may have also revealed banking details of Australian users through malicious software hosted by Spanish firm Inbenta.
The ticketing company said it had yet to confirm whether Australian ticket buyers had been exposed in the incident but, in warnings emailed to customers this morning, said it was working with forensic investigators, “credit card companies and banks”.
As a result of Inbenta’s product running on Ticketmaster International websites, some of our customers’ personal or payment information may have been accessed by an unknown third-party,” the Ticketmaster email said.
“We are contacting you because you purchased, or attempted to purchase, tickets between September 2017 and June 23, 2018.
“Whilst we have no evidence to suggest your data has been compromised, we are notifying you out of an abundance of caution.”
Information exposed in the attack included customers’ names, email addresses, telephone numbers, and their credit card details.
Ticketmaster said “less than five per cent” of its customers had been affected by the digital break-in, but could not confirm whether Australians were among those vulnerable.
If confirmed, the hack could fall under Australia’s new Notifiable Data Breach law, introduced on February 22, which compels companies to report cases in which customer information has been compromised.
Statistics released under the scheme showed 55 breaches were reported in March, up from just eight in February.
Health service providers recorded the greatest number of incidents, followed by legal, accounting, and management firms, and financial details were revealed in 30 per cent of reported cases.
For the first time ever, Germany is heading home from a World Cup after just the group stage.
The defending world champion played poorly against South Korea, but the problems for Die Mannschaft started much earlier than that.
Germany’s footballing pedigree at World Cups has always been the stuff of legend. A fiery team spirit, ice cold from the penalty spot, and in recent years, an exciting brand of football to match.
But now the 2014 World Cup winners have become the fourth World Champion out of the last five to exit during the group stage of their title defence.
Germany’s football obsessed public will argue for months about the causes of this historic sporting downfall.
But a few things are clear: The 2018 version of Joachim Low’s team lacked flair and bite, and also the necessary skill in front of goal — not to mention a backline that was easily caught out on the counterattack.
It was a team that did not deserve to win the World Cup.
“Our last convincing game was back in autumn,” admitted defender Mats Hummels just moments after his side’s shock 2-0 loss to South Korea.
Hummels is right. Germany’s national football side has been on a downward trend for months now.
The reaction from the German public was strong, they expected more and they let their team know about it, in an uncharacteristic public shaming helped along by social media.
This daily news roundup is created with stories from ABC News.
She Society is a site for the women of Australia to share our stories, our experiences, shared learnings and opportunities to connect.