Acquitted man could be retried for 1980s murder under Queensland’s double jeopardy laws
Queensland’s double jeopardy provisions are being used for the first time after a man was charged in relation to a murder in the 1980s.
The man was arrested today, triggering a “legal mechanism” whereby an application will be made to the court for an acquitted person to be retried for the offence.
Police will now have to appeal to the court to allow a re-trial.
Because of legal restrictions preventing the identity of the person subject of the application to be publicised, police would not reveal any further details, except to say he had already faced court once over the alleged murder and been acquitted.
This is the first time double jeopardy provisions have been exercised in Queensland.
Legal expert Bill Potts, who has 36 years’ experience in criminal law, said it was an “extraordinarily unusual” step.
“The general principle in law is that people cannot be tried twice for the same offence and there is a sensible reason for it,” Mr Potts said.
Thai cave rescue: Adun Samon recalls the moment British divers arrived
“How many of you?” asked British divers John Volanthen and Rick Stanton.
The faint voice of 14-year-old Adul (Adun) Samon answered instantly in clear English.
“Thirteen,” he said in the triumphant moment caught on camera that captured the hearts of people across the globe and changed the course of the rescue of 12 boys and their soccer coach trapped deep inside a Thai cave.
As the rescuers and the world breathed a sigh of relief, Adun and his friends could only think of one thing.
“I just said, ‘Eat, eat, eat!'” said Adun with a boyish laugh as he sat before a crowd of reporters from around the world, many of which had been camping at the mouth of the Tham Luang cave for almost two weeks.
After eight days in quarantine, the Wild Boars were released from hospital on Wednesday for the media conference that aired live around the world.
The boys smiled, joked and laughed as they told their stories and thanked the Navy SEALs who got them out.
Donald Trump invites Vladimir Putin to Washington, White House says
US President Donald Trump has asked his national security adviser, John Bolton, to invite Russian President Vladimir Putin to Washington later in the year, the White House says.
- US National Intelligence director expresses surprise at invitation
- Trump rejects Putin offer on interviewing Americans
- US President has faced backlash in US over comments following Helsinki summit
“President Trump asked @Ambjohnbolton to invite President Putin to Washington in the fall and those discussions are already underway,” White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said in a tweet
News of the invite appeared to catch even the President’s top intelligence official by surprise.
“Say that again,” National Intelligence director Dan Coats responded when a moderator broke into their conversation at a security forum to inform him of the invitation.
“OK,” he continued, pausing for a deep breath.
“That’s going to be special.”
Mr Trump had earlier tweeted that he looked forward to “our second meeting” as he defended his performance at Monday’s summit.
The top Senate Democrat Chuck Schumer said Mr Trump should not meet privately with Mr Putin until Americans learn what happened at their first summit in Helsinki earlier this week.
“Until we know what happened at that two-hour meeting in Helsinki, the President should have no more one-on-one interactions with Putin. In the United States, in Russia, or anywhere else,” Senator Schumer said in a statement.
This weekly news roundup is curated with stories from ABC News.
She Society is a site for the women of Australia to share our stories, our experiences, shared learnings and opportunities to connect.