We were honoured to be invited to walk the Red Carpet for two spectacular events with the one and only Hollywood Icon, Susan Sarandon!
We did a bit of celebrity spotting while we were on the red carpet and saw many of the A-listers including: performer Danni Minogue, inspirational speaker Turia Pitt, Real Housewives of Melbourne’s Pettifleur Berenger, Founder of Boost Janine Ellis, Entertainment reporter, Richard Wilkins, media personalities Meshel Laurie and Em Rusciano and Journalist and presenter, Carrie Bickmore.
The luncheon was an intimate gathering of only 100 attendees held at the Crown Resort Hotel, and all guests enjoyed hearing Susan share stories and insights from her illustrious career, along with the major milestones and personal challenges she had achieved.
Hollywood glamour, intelligence and spirit
Having graced our screens for close to 50 years (yes, really!) without appearing to have aged a single day, Susan Sarandon is a glorious creation of timeless Hollywood glamour, unbreakable spirit and thought-provoking intelligence.
A mother, a critically acclaimed and award-winning actress, producer, director, businesswoman, philanthropist and activist – Susan has led, in her own words, an ‘extraordinary’ life, both on-and-off screen in the public eye and behind closed doors.
An Evening with Susan Sarandon was packed out at the Regent Theatre and here we learnt of her humble start. Born to Lenora and Phillip Tomalin in Jackson Heights, New York City, on October 4, 1946, Susan is eldest of nine siblings.
She spoke about her grandfather, Giuseppe Criscione, who immigrated to the US from Sicily in 1916 and her grandmother, Anita, who was the daughter of immigrants from Tuscany Italy.
Bet you didn’t know …
Susan was raw and honest in the telling of her history and we were amazed to learn that Susan:
- kept her married name from her first husband Chris, even though they split in 1979;
- dated David Bowie for three years;
- was told she could never have children;
- briefly dated Film Director Franco Amurri in 1984 and the couple unexpectedly became pregnant with her first child, Eva Amurri. Susan was 40-years-old and pregnancy came as a complete surprise;
- partnered with Tim Robbins for 20 years and had two children, Miles Robbins and Jack Henry Robbins;
- dated a much younger man, Jonathan Bricklin, from 2010- 2015, and together they launched SPIN – a highly successful chain of ping-pong social clubs in NY, LA, Toronto, Chicago and San Francisco. Although they are no longer in a relationship, Susan’s passion for her SPIN projects continue and its program of supporting underprivileged and marginalized youth;
- fears singing and was petrified to do the singing scene in The Rocky Horror Picture show;
- is an Academy Award and BAFTA Award winner (okay, most of us knew that one);
- is also known for her social and political activism for a variety of causes ; and,
- is very outspoken on her beliefs about the death penalty (have you seen her film Dead Man Walking? It tackles that theme).
We fell in love with Susan all over again, and can’t believe it has been 25 years since the release of Thelma and Louise – our all time favourite movie of hers.
Susan’s work with the Bully Zero Foundation
As a vocal supporter of equality and justice, Susan Sarandon was sympathetically aligned to Bully Zero Foundation Australia’s vision of protecting and empowering Australians to live a life free from all forms of bullying.
Bully Zero Australia is dedicated and committed to raising awareness of bullying and its devastating consequences through schools, workplaces, sporting clubs and community groups.
We salute you
To Susan, we salute you. There were no question off-limits and this dynamic lady, who is turning 70 this year with no plans to slow down is simply, unstoppable.
What’s Coming Up next?
Bridget Jones’s Baby
We have joined forces with Zonta Brisbane to promote the significant work that they do.
So come and join us on Thursday 15 September when we see Bridget Jones’s Baby. New tickets have just been released so book fast to avoid missing out. Click here to book.
Jennifer and Michaela are BrisVegas socialites who have their finger on the pulse of the social and fashion scene. Connect with them below on their individual profiles.