Can’t make it to Italy this year? Never fear! Festitalia is right here in Brisbane this Sunday. This one – day celebration showcases all things Italian.The food , the culture, national and international entertainment, dancing , cars, Italian wines, and flag throwing will all be on offer.
Did I mention the authentic Italian food? Explore the tastes of Italy with over 25 Italian flavour makers. Whether you have a hankering for pizza, pasta, authentic espresso or a sweet treat like cannoli or Nutella doughnuts, it’s guaranteed you won’t go home from this Festival hungry.
Highlights- Here are my top ten highlights for this special day.
- Dance the Tarantella on the dance floor in Spencer Park to work off all those carbs.
- Meet local Italian chefs including- Andrea Ravezzani from Noosa Waterfront and Bar, Robert D’Anna from Ristorante Tartufo, Rosanno Tantulli from Pavarotti’s Italian, Alessandro Motta from Casa Motta and award winning pizzaiolo and pizza acrobat Youssef Ben-Touati- all demonstrating their favourite dishes and techniques.
- After the chefs whet your appetite eat your way around the 25 food stalls.
- Visit the Talk Italian Tent to brush up on your conversational Italian.
- Listen to Italian tenor Raffaele Pierno, Italian-Australian songstress Cosima de Vito and Diletta Luna or listen to some acoustic/ pop rock from Jason Fichera.
- Indulge your competitive spirit by entering the Cannoli and Gelato Eating Competition or try Nonna’s slipper toss.
- Watch world famous flag throwers – Gruppo Storico Fivizzano Flag Throwers.
- Travel back in time with historical re- enactments by the acclaimed Pax Romana and exhibitions by Mare Nostrvm and Regio Esercito.
- Practise your swordsmanship with some Renaissance fencing.
- Check out the traditional Venetian glassmaking with demonstrations by master glass blower Fae Chandler.
These are only a few of the wonderful Italian treats and activities on offer at Festitalia. This Festival celebrating the richness of Italian culture and the vibrant contributions the Italian community have made in Queensland will start at 11am on Sunday 14 October and will showcase all this beautiful country has to offer until 6pm. All your favourites will be there – Gnocchi Gnocchi Bros, Gerbino’s Bakery and Sweets, La Macellaria, Instrada Woodfire Pizza and so much more delicious fare. You might just have to sample a few. Festitalia 2018 can be found at Spencer Park- 42 Newbery St, Newmarket for one day only. Head along and say CIAO.