The gunman responsible for fatally shooting two teenagers at a home in Sydney’s north-west last night has been found dead at another house, NSW police say.
The ABC reported it understood the gunman is the father of the two teens — a 15-year-old boy and a 13-year-old girl.
Police said the man was found this morning at a house in Normanhurst, a suburb on Sydney’s Upper North Shore, about 5 kilometres from where the shooting took place.
Officers were searching for the man throughout the night following the shooting at 5:20pm yesterday.
The boy and girl were found shot dead in their bedrooms at a West Pennant Hills home.
Their mother, 36, turned up at last night’s scene shortly after police arrived.
She was treated for shock and is being supported by friends.
A police conference will be held at 10:00am.
Speaking last night, Acting Assistant Commissioner Brett McFadden said the scene was “harrowing” for emergency responders after responding to a number of reports of shots being fired.
“The emergency service personnel responded to what can only be described as an horrific scene inside those premises,” he said.
NSW Ambulance Inspector Kevin McSweeney said when paramedics arrived at the scene they were confronted with “an extremely distressing and stressful situation”.
He said there was nothing that could be done for the boy and girl.
The family and emergency services personnel who attended the scene are being given support.
“You’ve really got a family that’s going to be struggling to come to terms with it but also the responding police will struggle to come to terms with what they’ve seen.”
Desperate push to free boys from Thai cave within 48 hours, before heavy rains hit
Rescuers are making every effort to extract at least the strongest of the trapped footballers from a Thai cave before heavy rains forecast for Saturday, according to a military source.
- Navy source says two of the boys are in a weaker condition
- He said the 25-year-old coach, who sacrificed his share of food, is also feeling weak
- The source dismissed reports that water levels inside the cave had dropped by 40 per cent
A navy source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the ABC three factors are driving the urgency — the water level inside the cave, the amount of oxygen available, and the health of the boys and their coach.
“The pressure we are experiencing comes from working against the weather, as the forecasts tell us there will be heavy rain in this area within 48 hours,” he said.
The soccer team was trapped in a cave system known as Tham Luang on June 23, surviving for nine days before rescue divers found them on a muddy ledge.
It is not clear when they heard those noises and what it means. But the suggestion is that there may be an alternative way to get out, or at least an alternative way that the sound is coming in.
Diving the boys out does appear to be the preferred option, according to officials, and everyone here is waiting to see when exactly that might happen.
The navy source said two of the boys are in a weaker condition, as is the 25-year-old coach, who sacrificed his share of their meagre food supplies to give to the boys.
The decision whether to attempt a risky dive and scramble through four kilometres of tunnels continued to dominate announcements from officials on Thursday.
The navy source said rescue coordinators face tough choices and there are differences of opinion among those providing assessments.
Trump Baby’ blimp given go-ahead by London Mayor Sadiq Khan ahead of Donald Trump’s London visit
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan will allow protesters to fly a blimp portraying US President Donald Trump as an orange, snarling baby over UK Parliament during the President’s upcoming visit, it has been announced.
Mr Trump, who arrives in a week’s time, will meet Queen Elizabeth and Prime Minister Theresa May, who was the first foreign leader to visit him after his inauguration last year.
Britain regards its close ties with the United States, which it calls the special relationship, as a pillar of its foreign policy as it prepares to leave the European Union.
But some Britons see Mr Trump as crude, volatile and opposed to their values on a range of issues.
Mr Trump’s comments on militant attacks in Britain have sparked anger and he has often exchanged barbs on social media with the London mayor.
“The mayor supports the right to peaceful protest and understands that this can take many different forms,” a spokesman for Mr Khan said.
“His city operations team have met with the organisers and have given them permission to use Parliament Square Garden as a grounding point for the blimp.”
The spokesman added, however, that the protesters would also need permission from the police and air traffic services to fly the six-metre balloon.
This weekly news roundup is curated with stories from ABC News.
SheSociety is a site for the women of Australia to share our stories, our experiences, shared learnings and opportunities to connect.