MONDAY, MAY 25
Jacinda Ardern was forced to halt a live TV interview this morning after an earthquake struck the lower half of New Zealand’s North Island while she was live.
The New Zealand Prime Minister was giving her weekly live interview from the parliament building, known as the “Beehive” to the AM Show when the quake struck.
According to GeoNet, the 5.8 magnitude earthquake struck 30km northwest of Levin, at a depth of 37km just before 8am.
“Quite a decent shake here … if you see things moving behind me. The Beehive moves a little more than most,” she joked on the AM Show on Newshub.
Ms Ardern assured the host she was safe and calmly carried on with the interview.
“I’m not under any hanging lights and I look like I am in a structurally strong place,” she said.
She later said it was “not an unreasonable shake”.
In the country’s capital, the earthquake brought sustained shaking for around 15 seconds as Kiwis got ready at 7.53am NZST.
More than 32,000 people reported to feel the earthquake, most of whom were in Wellington.
On social media, many joked that Ms Ardern might be handling the latest in a series of disasters.
China’s proposed new national security laws in Hong Kong could lead to sanctions from the United States and threaten the city’s status as a financial hub, a US Government official says.
National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien said the proposed legislation could allow China to “basically take over Hong Kong”.
“And if they do … Secretary [of State Mike] Pompeo will likely be unable to certify that Hong Kong maintains a high degree of autonomy, and if that happens there will be sanctions that will be imposed on Hong Kong and China,” he told NBC.
The new law, expected to be passed on May 28, would bypass Hong Kong’s legislature and allow Beijing to set up mainland agencies in the city.
There are fears it will allow Chinese agents to arbitrarily arrest people in Hong Kong for activities deemed to be pro-democracy.
US Government officials said the legislation would end the Chinese-ruled city’s autonomy and would be bad for the economies of both Hong Kong and China.
One of three men charged with the murder of Cian English has had his case mentioned in court for the first time.
Lachlan Soper-Lagas, 18, did not appear via video link in Beenleigh Magistrates Court today when his charges — one count of murder, two counts of armed robbery and two of deprivation of liberty — were briefly mentioned.
Gold Coast police were called to an apartment complex in Surfers Paradise in the early hours of Saturday morning where Mr English’s body was found at the base of the building.
Mr Soper-Lagas’ case will be mentioned again tomorrow.
Two other men, aged 20 and 22, facing the same charges as Mr Soper-Lagas, are expected to have their cases mentioned in a Brisbane court this morning.
Mr English’s final moments were spent allegedly trying to escape the trio, who police allege were attempting to rob the teenager at knifepoint when he fell.
Officers were called to the foot of the View Ave building at Surfers Paradise about 3.15am on Saturday after a passer-by found the teenager’s body.
Police then found a group of teens in one of the units above. Four were allegedly semiconscious after taking prescription drugs, which police believe were allegedly stolen from Gold Coast chemists last week.
SheSociety is a site for the women of Australia to share our stories, our experiences, shared learnings and opportunities to connect.