Prime Minister Scott Morrison apologises to victims of child sexual abuse
Prime Minister Scott Morrison has apologised, on behalf of the nation, for failing and abandoning the thousands of survivors of institutional child sex abuse.
In an address to Federal Parliament, Mr Morrison said there was no promise that could be made and nothing that could be done to right the wrongs of the past.
But he said the nation was now confronting a “trauma” and an “abomination” that had been hiding in plain sight for too long.
“Today, as a nation, we confront our failure to listen, to believe, and to provide justice,” he said as hundreds of people watched on from Parliament’s public galleries and Great Hall.
“To the children we failed, sorry. To the parents whose trust was betrayed and who have struggled to pick up the pieces, sorry.
“To the whistle-blowers, who we did not listen to, sorry.
“To the spouses, partners, wives, husbands, children, who have dealt with the consequences of the abuse, cover-ups and obstruction, sorry.
Prince Harry and Meghan en route to Fraser Island for night in the wilderness
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have arrived in Queensland where they will spend a day and a night on the world’s largest sand island, known for its lush rainforests, rolling beaches and wild dingos.
Kensington Palace has confirmed that Meghan will be taking a break from official engagements on Fraser, but Prince Harry will be travelling around the island as part of the dedication of the site to the Queen’s Commonwealth Canopy (QCC) conservation program.
The overnight trip is likely to be much more laid back than other appearances, with the island’s patchy mobile phone reception and low population expected to mean fewer public interactions.
Businesses and tourism bodies were hoping for a boost from the Royal couple’s visit to the Fraser Coast, which was expected to bring thousands of people to the area.
The couple are spending most of their 16-day trip in Sydney for the Invictus Games for wounded, sick and injured veteran soldiers.
However, crowds have come out in droves to catch a glimpse of the pair as they travelled to Melbourne and Dubbo in central New South Wales over the past week.
In Dubbo, a five-year-old stole the show by hugging the pair and stroking Prince Harry’s ginger beard.
It is the Royal couple’s first visit to Australia since their marriage in May, and interest reached fever pitch when Kensington Palace revealed Meghan was pregnant while the couple were in Sydney.
Geoffrey Rush defamation trial against Nationwide News to begin in the Federal Court
An article in The Daily Telegraph accusing Geoffrey Rush of inappropriate sexual behaviour “smashed and destroyed” his reputation, the actor’s lawyer has told a court.
Mr Rush, 67, is suing Newscorp’s Nationwide News, the publisher of The Daily Telegraph newspaper, as well as one of its journalists, Jonathan Moran.
In opening statements in the Federal Court in Sydney, Mr Rush’s lawyer Bruce McClintock SC launched a scathing attack against the article, saying it destroyed his client’s 50-year career.
In November 2017 the newspaper published articles alleging Rush acted inappropriately towards a young actress during the Sydney Theatre Company (STC) production of King Lear in 2015-16.
That actress was later identified in legal proceedings as Eryn Jean Norvill.
Mr McClintock said Ms Norvill made an “off the record” complaint to the STC, but The Daily Telegraph “very much put (it) on the record”.
“He [Moran] was obviously very desperate for a story,” he said.
Mr McClintock said his client was a “household name” whose income had dropped significantly.
Mr Rush told the court Mr Rush earned $1.5 million from July 1 to November 30 last year, but had made only $44,000 since then.
“His reputation was stellar, it could not have been higher,” Mr McClintock said.
“There was no scandal attached to it.
“His reputation was that of a consummate professional, an actor devoted to his craft.
“On November 30 , that was all challenged, because a gossip columnist at The Daily Telegraph decided to write an article about my client.”
Holding up a banner advertisement in the courtroom for the article in question on the day it was published, Mr McClintock read out the headline: “World Exclusive: Geoffrey Rush in scandal claims — ‘theatre company confirms inappropriate behaviour’.”
“This destroyed my client’s reputation,” Mr McClintock said, pointing to the banner advertisement.
This daily news roundup is curated with stories from ABC News.